Friday, May 3, 2013

Red Rooms and Tie Ups or something totally non related

I'm cheating today. I wanted to do a journal page for the nice title I put up there but I was doing this yesterday and didn't feel like doing anything else.
So, today I'm sharing with you a picture of the different faces I learned to paint in the FREE workshop called "Let's Draw & Paint Fabulous Faces" that is sadly over but go check Kat McBride to see what else she offers. Because I don’t have an extender to use with my acrylic paints I tried some other mediums to see what results they give.

First one was the Matte medium fluid (Liquitex). It thinned the paint and gave it translucency but it also got tacky real quick and when I wasn’t careful I ended up with the buildup of color at one area. (this was the first face I've done but I didn't include it here in this photo)

1. face: Glazing fluid medium (Liquitex) was a little better but it dried pretty quickly or it was absorbed by the paper so I couldn’t blend the lines that appeared. Whereas with the Slow-dri blending medium (Liquitex) and Open acrylic gel (Golden) I could go back with a clean brush dipped in the medium and blend the lines, I couldn’t do so with the Glazing medium.

2. face: Slow-dri blending medium (Liquitex) I find the best from the mediums to replace the extender. It took the least amount from the four mediums and it blended wonderfully. With the Glazing liquid I actually had to pour a second time because I used it up so quickly.

3. face: Open acrylic gel (Golden) has a gel consistency which I thought would bother me but surprisingly it didn’t and I didn’t use it up as much as I thought I would so I had to put quite large amount of it back in the jar. Obviously it took the longest time to dry but that meant also I could blend better as well. But I had to be careful when going back after it had dried a bit because it got tacky and I ended up taking off the paint instead of blending it.

Let me explain the title now. :) You know that feeling when you hear a popular new song and you realize they took the melody from an old song that nobody seems to recall unless they're over 30 years old. :)


One part of Pittbull's  rapping caught my attention and I was like, is he referring to himself as Mr. Gray from 50 Shades of Gray?

"She read books, 
especially about red rooms and tie ups
I got her hooked,
Cause she seen me in a suit with the red tie tied up"
~ Pitbull - Feel This Moment

Here's the original. :) A part of the melody is the same, the lyrics are totally different.


Linking to Paint Party Friday. Have a fabulous weekend!


Share/Save/Bookmark

25 comments:

  1. Well....what is the tattoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting those faces! Thanks for explaining, I'd never heard of slow-dri blending medium ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My very favorite product in the paint world is Golden - I've never tried anything I didn't like and use it exclusively. Naughty, naughty -- stealing music -- how well I remember that song! Good times. Love your faces - and so good to find out what works for you and what doesn't. thanks for sharing. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work on your faces! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna see the tattoo....that is ppf worthy isn't it? Thanks for the heads up on the mediums...I am going to be back for the info on the video.. thanks for sharing...great faces!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the lesson, thanks so much. I love PPF and learning about the different kinds of products and what we can do with them. Every Friday is a new and Fun lesson. Blessing, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  7. smashing work on your faces and am wondering what the tattoo is..............Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So interesting to see the results from different paint mediums. We're all intrigued to know what's on your tattoo. Well done at spotting that golden oldie Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep thinking that I need to get acrylic extender as I seem to waste so much paint that I put onto the palette and it dries into little hard blobs before I get round to mixing it - in what seems like minutes sometimes!! I heard of a palette that keeps the paint wet longer so I might look into that. Your faces are lovely although I won't pretend I understood all the products you were talking about although now I feel like I need to learn about them!!
    Anyway - more important - what is your tattoo of?? I have 8 small ones now and I'm dying to get more now and funny enough there is actually a tattoo parlour in the tiny town we live near!! Will you post some photos?
    Also I'd never heard of Pittbull and I don't think I'll be listening to him again any time soon - i hate that crap - but that AHA song was one of my favourites from the 80s - that video was amazing when it first came out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanx 4 sharing ur experience with the mediums! I love that u posted that connection with the songs cuz that's exactly what I thought when I heard the new one, but then again I am a huge 80s music fan n listen to it more then current music lol I was a child of the 80s n never grew up I guess lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm over 30 don't remember the song but I'm a Pit Bull fan! LOL! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard that too when I heard the song!! Are you doing a show and tell with what happened in your red room?? :)

    I meant to get to that class but ran out of time, it looks like you got a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved kat's class too. Congrats on your new tat! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the original song!! Nothing beats the originals ;o) Well done on the faces! I hope you will share what happened in the red room ;o) Take Care ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely faces! and I used to love that video of aha. I still think it's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post... looking forward to seeing the tattoo, and thanks for the info on mediums... I remember that original music video... fun to look back on it...xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is interesting to hear about your results with different mediums. your faces are indeed fab darling ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember the song, I even told my kids it was a reincarnation of that one in the video lol Seems like the musicians are producing new groups and giving them license to use part of their old songs, at least that's what I know of the group America and some of Janet Jackson songs... it bothered me so much their were "copying" America, but turned out they were the producers of her songs! :oP

    ReplyDelete
  19. When do we get to see your tat? love your faces and reading abt all the different mediums.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked to see how work is interesting. It is also interesting the two videos that show that music is all made up, I have found from time to time with such cases, my grandson listening to METALICA group and the theme is a plagiarism of The Doors idols of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are lovely faces - and thank you for sharing your experiments with different mediums. HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely faces!!! I wanted to take the class....even signed up....lost the energy and missed it..:( SO what's up with the tat and when are you going to share????

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to see the tattoo!
    ....and, yes.....I am old enough to admit that I remember the original Aha song....haha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is something quite addictive to tats. I have a few myself. My first tat was when I was 15 lonnggggg before girls were getting tattoos. LOL
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely faces and post. Glad you mentioned the Ah-a song and how famous snippets of music are borrowed and incorporated into the new stuff; I always seem to identify that in music, writing and art. Almost Everything is borrowed these days.
    Thanks for promoting my shop, very well done .I shared it with twitter and Facebook.

    p.s. Luv to see what you got for a tattoo O,O Annabelle

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top