Friday, April 26, 2013

Book 4 - Dystopia - Video

The fourth book for The Artful Readers Club

My review:
 4*
This was a wonderful read. I liked the fact that Lana wasn’t the typical heroine that puts herself in trouble. I’m all for girl power but let’s be realistic. You’re more likely to meet a smart woman who can’t shoot a gun to save her life than a kickass bitch. Romance with Brady was a nice touch to the story. I wish some of her friends were more developed characters though. I think it would have spiced up the story.

This is the book's blurb:
Futuristic romance. After nuclear strikes cripple the East Coast in the year 2135, security expert Lana is alone with a secret she must protect at all costs, even if it means placing her life – and her heart – in the hands of Brady, the compelling, dangerous leader of the rebellion. As a member of the lower class, Brady serves two masters: the rebellion and the regular army. It will take all his connections and strength to protect Lana and keep from falling in love with her.
Ok, neither book blurb or my review give you any idea what this book is about. So, I'll summarize it for you.

This clearly is a dystopian novel. We have Lana that has kind of an important job even though she shouldn't according to her social status but she's been taken care of by this friend of the family that is pretty politically important and he made sure she got proper education and later the job she has now.

She discovers something about a certain corrupt politician that threatens the existence of the social order as it is and she destroys the government building that was sort of a command center and runs for her life with a certain object that shouldn't fall in the wrong hands.

She falls in the hands of the rebels and falls in love with the leader which kind of confuses her because he was also the "voice" that was guiding her to safety ever since her family friend informed her it's time for the emergency procedure.

The book has risky missions, explosions, fights, intrigue, seduction and a sexy hero.

Hmmmm. Apparently I was mistaken. I thought dystopia and post-apocalyptic was the same thing. They are not!  So let's see if I got this right.

Dystopia is a futuristic society where something goes wrong and is opposite of utopia which is a perfect society. Utopia usually becomes dystopian because reading about a perfect society would be just boring.

Post-apocalyptic is a world after a major catastrophe that wiped out humanity and survivors that are left on earth are struggling.

The problem arises when you have a dystopian novel that is clearly set after some catastrophic event took place. And a post-apocalyptic novel where a new society is formed. You see my dilemma?

Because this book is exactly that. You have this perfect society where all kind of shit happens and makes it dystopian but as you can see from the book's blurb it is set after a major catastrophe that is a nuclear war. I'm calling it both.

Linking to Paint Party Friday.


Share/Save/Bookmark

47 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice video! You make it Look so easy...My drawings and paintings come out looking like a three year old did them...not even kidding. I love your work! Thank you for taking the time to shoot this for your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was intrigued by your dilemma. It really IS a dilemma, based on how you have described the book. Of course, I see it as a romantic encounter in an ever changing futuristic world. I like your concept better, though. And of course, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your art. I've never drawn anything in my life (OK, I tried to draw a snowman three years ago, and my artist friend ended up fixing it for me), so you can only imagine how much I love these faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...confusing to explain but doesn't sound like it was a confusing read. I love your art and the fact that you did a video...quite creative, Miss Natasha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NatashaMay - the video was wonderful. Do so enjoy watching you paint. I'm interested in the tools - what kind of pens. As you know I'm so far away from these things these days - product fascinates me. They look easy to blend. You book? Give me a good revolution with a sexy leader. Sounds like you enjoyed it - that's all that matters. xoDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book sounds intrigueing and a good read. Corruption! even after going through an apocalypse seems raise its ugly head! I love your art and really enjoyed watching you create it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! I'll stick to my murder books and Harry Potter, they sound less complicated! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your video, Natasha!! it's so nice to see you painting in your journal :))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your 2 half faces! Thnx for the video:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, it can be both dystopian and post-apoc :) Sounds like a good read and I LOVE your portraits - I am getting better at female faces but can't draw a male face to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm See I am not a lover of post-apocoliptic novels/films far to depressing, as I often feel we may not be too far away from this sometimes. But I do like what you have created I am not that good at faces so I do appreciate a good version ;) Happy PPF & ARC Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How different and unique Natasha! I love the way you have painted these two faces. Great composition! Thank you for sharing your video too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful journal page and thank you for the video! Story not for me but enjoyed your review.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little vid :D...and I think people can sometimes get too caught up in categorizing stuff...a good story is a good story..."futuristic non-scifi" would probably cover it :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your video and your art this week Natasha! HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that futuristic novels are not something I read. I can barely keep up with my book club stuff, let alone read anything else. I've stumbled on Audible.com so now I can listen to books in my studio - it kinda works... depends on what i'm doing. At least I get through the book club book now :) Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful art as usual and it's always a pleasure to see the vids-thank you! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds complicated but you worked through ti wonderfully. I love the half faces of each of them. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not the sort of book I think I would normally read - but you described it brilliantly and I learnt a new word - Dystopia!!Love your illustration - he's very square jawed and rugged - a typical story book hero!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Post-apocalyptic or dystopia, I like them both - I'm weird that way! :) Not too often though, it is sort of depressing after all. Last one I read was Justin Cronin's The Twelve (second book of a trilogy) and it was both, too, I suppose... Lovely drawing, beautiful faces! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome portraits and video!! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful Video and amazing Portraits!
    Happy PPF and hugs
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, I am confused! LOL! I'm glad there is a sexy hero ;o) Love your video and your portraits are fantastic! (Would love to see a picture of your blue and yellow tiled bathroom!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice work on the portraits, I enjoyed your video very much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the paintings/illustrations, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  25. sounds like a cracking read... I have been reading some fab books but I have added this one to the list and am going to hunt it down... seems like it will be my sort of read... and the painting is Awesome...XX

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful video. Really nice painting!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  27. an intriguing review, and terrific illustration! I really like the two halves on one page concept...happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the video Natasha. Amazing journal page.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am intrigued by this book - I will have to check it out + I love your journal page (and video) based on the characters. I am so often inspired by the books I read x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah, I see the dilemma, we'll just say it's both (though I have to admit 'dystopian' just sounds cooler) :) Enjoyed your summary and art!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Natasha I loved watching the video of your painting.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haha, even though you were confused about where to put your book under I'm glad you really liked your read this month!
    I love your art, I love your man! It's hard to draw a male face... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a master illustrator my friend. Love your videos and that book intrigues me!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the journal page and your videos always make it look so easy when I know it's not :) I just may have to read this book....you have me interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The ugly blur between the genres, huh?

    I love your journal page. I think I told you already on Facebook, but I'll tell you again--there is something wonderful about their lips.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so blown away by your inclusion of a video for us to watch. It's so good to watch another artist painting, and I am so impressed with your method and your resulting work. You paint so peacefully and quietly - and yes, even gracefully! Its a joy to watch and learn from you.
    Your review is so well written and thought-provoking. I am interested in your way of describing it, even though it's not a genre that I like to read.
    Well worth coming to check out your review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your dilemma made me laugh! I never really thought about the differences before....or the similarities, for that matter...intriguing...haha!

    Love it when you make videos, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. For some strange reason FireFox won't let me comment... Think goodness for phones! :) Love the sound of the book, I like those kinds of stories. Love the art as well.

    Thank you also for your research...I didn't know the difference either but I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is such an interesting review...thanks for commenting on your dilemma...I've been confused as well...especially when I read a part of 'cloud atlas' ...love to see your characters come to life in your video...FABulous!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, that was fantastic. I loved watching the wonderful vid. You are a finger painter too :-). I learned so much, also that you didn't do a whole person and cut the picture in half. . . which is something I think I would have to do. I love how the painting turned out. Did you use acrylics? I was surprised you could rub the pink (cheeks and eyes) like that. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great review, sounds just my kind of read so i have put it on my list. Gorgeous artwork as always, you are so inspirational. Love that you include a video. x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Loved seeing how you produced your artwork. Great page. Sounds like a book I might read, shall add it to my list.Thanks for the review.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, interesting novel; I enjoy stories set in the future with precarious government situations. I may have to look into seeing if I can find that book in my local library (as I promised not to buy any more novels, my bookcase has 100 now, LOL). I love your artwork and the techniques you use! You are ubber talented! - Angela K. Orobko

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love your vivid art work! I've just read a really bleak post apocalyptic novel by Cormac McCarthy - The Road. It was brilliant but bleak. This sounds more fun! Thanks for sharing. I'm really new to this; but I loved your art work. x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like this sort of book so will add it to my list. Great journal page - love the fact you've done a video too. x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top