Wednesday, October 3, 2012

# 3 Fridas

Every day I'll be answering your random questions that you leave for me in the comments throughout this Blogtoberfest. I'll answer four of the questions today because they are similar and the rest in the days to come. :)

Hadiyah Shabir asked me: Well I have a question how in the world are you soo credibly talented?

Kylie asked me: When did you learn to draw?

Kat @ I Saw You Dancing asked me:
Tell us more about your creative journey and your inspirations... then about your favourite mediums, techniques and tools.

Ok, short version. :)

My brother is actually the "artist" in our family. He is very talented but he never went in that direction. It all stayed more or less a hobby for him. I'm nowhere near as good as he is but I was always told I drew pretty and that I was artistic. I never went that direction either until a couple of years ago when I found Suzi Blu on YouTube and took her workshop.

My inspiration is trying new things whether it's a new technique or a new style. My favorite medium at the moment are watercolor pencils and acrylic paint on paper. I don't have a favorite tool but I quite like the water brush.


Donna, Doni, Lady D  asked me: Why are you attracted to this particular type of art? What's the largest painting you have ever done? and ... I think you tend to like to paint 'small' - why, and do you think it's more of a challenge than painting large.

Well, I never had any formal training in art department. :) So, I can't really draw realistically that well. When I try really, really hard I can come up with something decent but it's frustrating and it's not fun. Then I saw Suzi Blu with her dolls and I said to my self, I can do that. So I did. And I liked it and it was fun. I like drawing pretty faces. Landscapes and still life doesn't hold interest to me.

Largest painting is 60x80 cm, approx. 23,5" x 31,5". The reason I paint ATC size is because it's quick, I dare to try new things without the fear of wasting supplies and I feel like I accomplished something that day. I'm the kind of person that likes to finish what I started pretty quickly. Drying time is killing me and often I dread to come back to the painting the next day.

Painting small was a challenge in the beginning but once you get used to it it's easier than painting big. You can get away with many mistakes because you can't see them. :))


Share/Save/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. Your Fridas are definitely my all time faves! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the different ages of Frida...you images show the youthful energy of the lady beautifully :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that second Frida- it's just perfectly her! I am the same as you- like to finish my piece in one day, unless I feel stuck with it- then I would return to it the next day. My question? When are you coming to London, would love to meet with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Fridas, and I'm enchanted by your words about "painting small." I think I'm finding out something similar when it comes to storytelling and poetry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! your faces are awesome! Im very impressed! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my site...I'm glad you like my little miss. She's one of my little drawings that has become 3D. You faces are pretty awesome and I love that you enjoy experimenting with your mediums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Natasha! Fabulous Frida in your own style , I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are very interesting questions and interesting answers. Nice to get to know more of you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving looking at your art during Blogtoberfest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that Frida-I like painting small for many of the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love painting small too! But, every once and awhile, I get the urge to paint big! LOL! I love Frida and her crow ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Fridas, love Frida!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Fridas! And it is fun to know a little more about you and your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those lips and that chin.....these may be paintings of Frida, but they are all Natasha May :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore these Fridas xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top