Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Face #2 and Goddess #9

For this week's 13 Goddesses challenge we had to pick from Aztec or Maya era. I chose Chalchiuhtlicue.

I'd love to hear you pronounce that. :))

Anyway, she is an Aztec Goddess of love, beauty, youth, lakes, rivers, seas, streams, horizontal waters, storms, and baptism. She was also a patroness of childbirth. Her name means "She who wears a Jade Skirt".

She was represented as a river from which grew a prickly pear cactus laden with fruit, symbolizing the human heart.

Depicted in her "human" form, her headdress consisted of several broad bands that in all probability were made of cotton and trimmed with amaranth seeds. Large round tassels fell from the goddess's headdress.

Chalchihuitlicue was viewed as a beautiful lady whose clothing is that of a noble woman, which consisted of an extravagant shawl adorned with tassels and a green skirt.

The position of kneeling shows that she is a symbol of fertility for both women and the land.

And I'm combining this goddess with 29 Faces challenge.


Registration for my Cotton Candy Girls On-line Workshop is now open. Click on the banner to take you there. :)
 


Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful and colored! I love her hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Natasha... she is gorgeous... love that color combo... and her blue hair... and no... I don't think I can pronounce her name...lol...

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fabulous Goddess Natasha! It's been such an interesting challenge, learning about all these wonderful Goddesses :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely goddess and face! I just said the name 29 times to give you inspiration for the whole month, hope it works! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this goddess and what she represents--something new that I've learned today!!
    You do the bodys' so well--can't wait to see tomorrow's face...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love her. She's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Natasha she is beautiful. Love the expression and the colours you chose are so fitting.
    Sorry I missed your day 1. I can't visit all the faces there are over 70 but I will make an effort to come daily if time permits.
    Lesley ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH WOW...I love this girl! I think she is my fav goddess so far...something so lovely in her spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love her Natasha! Great job! I love the way you have her sitting! I still have to post mine!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top