Friday, December 9, 2011

Bottle cap magnet tutorial

I'm sure most of you are already shopping for Christmas gifts by now. :) I decided to make some handmade gifts for this year and I made a tutorial for you all, if you want to try it out.
This is how I made very simple bottle cap magnets. First off buy some bottle caps. Don't use old, used ones cause it will be hard to glue stuff to it. Or go into your mom's storage cause that's where you find this stuff that you usually don't think of buying yourself.
Then spray paint them if you wish. You don't have to, if you have really cool bottle caps. Mine were this weird golden color so I spray painted them black. Here's a tip: clean anything metallic with a little bit of vinegar so the paint sticks to it without chipping.
Get a picture you want to use inside of the bottle cap. It can be whatever. I printed out some of my art and I used an index (x48) setting to give me just the right size. However you can use larger ones and cut out the bit that you like and so on.
Cut it out by using a template. I found that a bottle cap from the golden acrylics fits just fine. 
If you have a Fiskar's cutter and a template, use the smallest one. It makes it easier for you.
Glue the picture inside of the bottle cap. Any glue is fine but I prefer if it dries fairly quickly.
Then pour Liquitex's Pouring Medium on top. I think you can use Diamond Glaze as well or resin if you want to mess with it. Leave them somewhere where they can lay flat and undisturbed.
Mine took 8 hours to dry on touch but I left them over night as well just to be sure. The medium becomes clear when it's totally dry.
When dry, glue a magnet on the back or make them into a brooch/broach/pin. You can buy this stuff in any craft/hobby store.
I hope spray painting counts for Paint Party Friday. :) Have a great weekend!


Share/Save/Bookmark

42 comments:

  1. Yeah! these are So cool!!!!!

    xxa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bottle caps! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome gift idea, they look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, so generous and loving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun, Natasha. Your work looks great in them and what lovely gifts. xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to give it a try. May I ask what index (x48) is? What software did you use?

    Thanks again!

    Cheers,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea!! I really want to give this a go. I just need a few extra days before Christmas to find the time - have you got any you're not using?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super!!! Super si tole naredila! Hvala za navodila!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ideja ti je originalna i jako maštovita!
    Lijep pozdrav i ugodan vikend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool, would love to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 100's and I mean 100's of caps from all over...can't wait to use a few of them!!!
    thanks - cheers.
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make these too but with plastic lenses on top, I like yours better with the stuff poured on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY fun and thanks for the step by step process. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great idea and thanks for the step by step. They look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh you are so clever with this awesome new project!!! love these!!!! Happy PPF and I wish you a wonderful weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a marvelous idea! I love your tutorial. The magnets and pins make great gifts. Faye

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are charming! Thanks for sharing how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, these are great Natasha!! I love them and definitely will try. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays to you and yours. See you soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those little pictures on the covers of beer. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome tutorial!
    Can't wait to try this for myself!
    Thank you for sharing the steps and materials. :)

    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love your idea!!!! They are great!
    Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  22. great tutorial! This is a rocking idea!! Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so cute to make!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Natasha, thanks so much! I have always wanted to do this! Fantastic! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cool idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ful dobra ideja. Lepa darilca bodo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Luštna ideja in res jasna navodila :) Pri tebi me zadnje čase vedno mika, da bi začela komentirat v angleščini, ko so skoraj vsi komentarji angleški :)))) eh, pa ne bom..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, you learn something new every day...thanks for the tutorial. I've never used that pouring medium, and now I want to try it.

    These are really cute, and will make terrific gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fun! Thanks for sharing, I used to make bottle cap art with my Son when he was little. Happy Paint Party Friday and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are awesome...thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent tutorial!!! I have always wanted to make these and you make it look so easy (thanks for the vinegar tip) - Hooray! (I had never heard of the pouring medium - I'll have to check that out!)

    These will make wonderful gifts! (Perfect post for PPF this week too!)

    xo
    Kristin

    p.s. I'm going to pin your tutorial on pinterest so more people can see how great it is! Wheee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the bottle cap tutorial. Didn't know about the vinegar tip (I use it to lower blood pressure, lol). Very awesome designer bottle caps. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  33. So cool, thanks for the tip! *w*
    I must try this someday...

    // -T.W-

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much for this, I know what I will be making very soon. I love the girl drinking coffee..well at least that is what I thought she was drinking?
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, thanks for the tutorial, this looks fun. Can't wait to try it! Yours came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. oooo these turned out great. dont you just love pouring medium!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oooo these turned out great. dont you just love pouring medium!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are just great, Natasha!!! I started out with creating bottlecap creations. They do make really wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top