Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chimera #9

Have you ever thought about why things look the way they do? Lets concentrate on animals in particular. Why do they look the way they do? Have you ever thought about creating your own species? I mean in your mind not like for real. That would be creepy. :)

I often wonder when looking at an animal what they would look like if they had five legs or wings or a beak instead of a muzzle. And why don' they have like six eyes or just one. If you're wondering, there is a name for this. It's called Chimera.

Chimera is a mythical creature composed together of the parts of multiple animals.(wiki) It's also a medical term for an organism consisting of two or more generically different cells. But we won't get into that cause it's freaky. :) I found a great tutorial from LemurKat that explains animal chimera in detail.

She is also having a new species swap at AtcsForAll and here are my sketches.
On the left I used parts of a goat and a fish/mermaid. I don't know where the hands came from, some sort of mammal probably. On the right I used ram's horns, some sort of anteater inspired head, lion's hind legs and dinosaur's wings.
 
These two I'm not that sure that I like. On the left I used a chicken's head and feathers, lizard's tail, ungulate's hind legs and some mythical front legs. On the right we have a frog with monkey's tail and tortoise's shell, fox's head and snake's tongue. What do you think?

Linking to Sunday Sketches.


Share/Save/Bookmark

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I once created an aligiraffebat, nice creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun work here, I often did this theme with the kids at school, who thought up the most wonderful creatures! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your creative imagination. I always seemed to mix things up with mermaids somehow when I was a kid. Haven't done those kinds of things since, but maybe now I will try again. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great imagination exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun sketches and very creative ! ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) linked with Sunday Sketches ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh these are interesting sketches! kind of like fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmm...thanks for the thought provoking post! never really have thought much about why animals look the way they do outside of a few times when I was in school for a class project of one kind or another. Totally liking the idea of taking a creative license with the usual to create the unique...your characters are awesome! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cool how you imagined your own animals! I love how the sketches turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating!...thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the goat/fish one best because he looks so friendly. We drew chimeras in Carla Sonheim's summer camp. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun challenge (and such excellent sketches)! I especially like that tortoise fox hybrid... very cool :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fun! I like the fox with the turtle body and the snake tongue!!! can you imagine one in real life! cool idea. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  13. odlični crteži, jedva čekam nastavak!

    Lijep pozdrav:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh these are really creative! I like how the chicken Chimera is walking :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your creative mind. These are pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top