Friday, June 3, 2011

Painting intuitively


I promised you an explanation in the previous post. So let me explain what “painting intuitively” means to me.

We all have it in us. That “little spirit” that makes our hand reach for red color and not blue and that “little spirit” that pops a certain image into our mind and that “little spirit” that guides our hand with brush strokes. We all have it. I really, really believe this and you all need to believe this, too. :) But the reason why some people get better results or seem like they do it with ease is because they don’t over think it.

I used to complain about this, "but how can I paint intuitively when I don't even know what to paint? I don't even know where to start." But that's just it.

When I'm faced with a blank canvas and I don’t know what to do next the probable reason is I'm thinking too much. I'm trying to envision the end result. And I don’t have to.

What I do is I just take the first color that pops into my mind and I go with it. I don’t go searching for a reason why that color. And I don’t talk myself out of using that color either.

I don’t say to myself, “but why pink? I wanted some trees on this painting, I can’t make pink trees!”

And I don’t say to myself, “I’m always using blue, let’s go for green this time.”

No! The first color I think of I go with it.

And this is coming from a person that has trouble putting together a matching color scheme. :) Seriously! Some are born with this natural ability to mix and match colors and I’m not one of them. But I still somehow manage to do it by listening to my “little spirit”.

And once my base color is on my canvas I go from there. Again I don’t think too much. I just look at the painting and I go with the first thing that pops into my mind. It needs drips in purple? I go for it! Too dark, needs some white? I go for it!

I'm playing right now. I'm not “making a painting”, I'm playing. And there is no right or wrong. I try it and if I don’t like it I can still change it. I truly believe this! This is so important for anyone's creativity.

At this point you might say, "but what if my "little spirit" is color blind?" :) Well, I'm telling you it rarely is. The thing is, you're questioning your color choices. You pick up red and pink and go, "wait, this doesn't go together. I don't know what I'm doing!" Then you probably search for a better combination and get frustrated because it's so hard and other make it look so easy. I know. I've been there. :)

I go with my instinct. I'm playing, remember?! Who cares if it ends up being not so pretty. What I need is to open my mind and go with the flow because it will take me further. If I start to over think my decisions I'll slow myself down to a hault.

I need to believe that everything is going to turn out just the way I like it. And I need to believe it the most at the painting’s ugly stage.

At a later stage in my painting process I will search for “the soul” of my painting. First I just play around to make a base then when I feel like it’s enough I stop and look at it. About that in my next blog post. :)

For now, here is final Part 3 of my painting Holes which I renamed into Holes in my Universe. :)

Holes symbolize those future adventures that we are yet to embark. They look like little windows into the future which we’re peaking in to see what lies ahead. We’re terrified of the unknown but at the same time excited to see what awaits us on the other side. Enjoy the ride! :)


Don't forget to give some love to the PPF players as well! Thanks for stopping by!


Share/Save/Bookmark

43 comments:

  1. This is so cool and surreal. You are such a fun artist to check up on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thought is the truest when painting! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hypnotised by watching this, love your post, you know choosing colours is so interesting, when I saw the first incarnation of your painting I thought, wow love those colours but I never usually pick them up, why?? because that 'little spirit' you talk about is real, & each of us just can tune in, but the advice they give is specific to the artist, had mine told me your colours well, not sure what happened but I know I LOVE what you did with the whispered selection, all colours are great, you really can't make a wrong choice, I guess it's the artist that makes them work & makes the "little spirit" happy with results... yours must be VERY happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to trust that little voice is a talent in itself....I agree that approaching the creative process as simply playing helps to shed so much of that internal conflict we wrestle with...

    I hope to continue playing the rest of my life :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. An inspiring piece and words. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand what you mean .. you have to trust ourselves, within us not in the eyes ... but that's not all there qu know about what you have in hand. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this post and you are so right- i am definitely opening myself up more to my instinct when it comes to my illustrations. i love the idea of the holes being adventures not yet taken and your painting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY goodness - I would never have thought three weeks ago that this is what you would end up with. Its delightful ♥ Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natasha, I always enjoy reading your views on your art, and they really do help me. I must remember this when I do my art--it sounds so simple, but for me, it's not. I always have to have a plan--I'm getting a little beter. My piece I just made was kind of like this (as a matter of fact I took step by step photos for my next blog post) I didn't really know where I was going with it, but then it "happened" for me. LOVE this post! and I haven't watched the video yet, but you know I will--your videos are VERY cool--keep making them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natasha - this is fantastic! Intuitive art is so wonderful and healing in so many ways. I love this. So very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful description of why you paint the way you do. I love seeing how other artists create- and the best part of all, is we all eventually find a way that works just right for each one of us!
    Happy PPF,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very inspiring post, I will have to try this as I am one of those that over thinks everything. I just have to remember that the worst that can happen is I paint over it. No Big Deal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoying your post and your free flow painting. Fantastic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah yes, you have hit the nail on the head there. We have to just listen to the Muse (as I like to call the little spirit) and let her guide us. Really enjoyed this post Natasha and following your painting progress has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your take on painting! wonderful work too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great video and wonderful painting. Your video was mesmerizing. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very though provoking and a good reminder to me to realize that not every experiment has to be perfect; there's a lot to be said for playing, for learning, for trying something new. I'm so new to collage that I have to constantly remind myself to not worry about what it looks like right now - go with the flow, go ahead, add that extra piece and see how it changes the look. Thanks for the reminder.
    Love the addition of your little ladies - think they're a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love your ideas on intuitive art, wonderfully fun and freeing. Loved watching your video, seeing you create. Magical piece.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Natasha May, Thank you so much for this enlightening post and part three of your painting videos. Love it all and especially your work. May I ask what kind of pens your are using with the brush tips? Those look great. The final painting is awesome! Happy Friday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful post :) Love this painting and seeing you intuitively create. Thankyou for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Natasha - Thanks so much for stopping and visiting with me!! Your art work is so lovely! And I enjoyed reading your post and video!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    Take care,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful - so well said! It has been so great to see this painting progress from start to finish :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, the new little sprites are wonderful. Love the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This has been such a wonderful experience watching the progression of your painting! It's beautiful, Natasha! I love your idea about the holes symbolizing future adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Natashamae...give that little spirit in your head some well deserved credit! You can stick together for a long time...and keep making beautiful artwork! :)

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oof..I spelled your name wrong..and I meant more like you can call that little spirit a "BIG" spirit instead. (I'm tired...sorry!)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like that you're intuitive, I'm more controlled and it's great to be so natural at 'letting go'

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really appreciated the video...it was funny too.
    I want to be more like you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. There is a freedom in your style and art. I like that. HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very awesome painting. I love watching you paint! I just love watching people make art so keep them coming! I love your words on making art intuitively. I have found once I freed my soul from all the expectations and moved away from a desired outcome, the paintings started to come. Loved your words!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great submission. Such inspiration. Great video too.
    Happy PPF and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  32. I enjoyed reading your post ~ it inspired me to listen to the 'little spirit' more and use my brain less! I love how your Holes painting has evolved. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your videos and your artwork is so much fun. Talk about being free!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the inspirational blog post! I am new to the whole arts/crafts world and I so appreciate you sharing your insight!
    I am definitely following your blog!
    xoxo
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Natasha May this is wonderful! What a great post about painting intuitively, too. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. trusting that "little spirit" is always so rewarding. I love the progress you've made on this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i love your style and always enjoy seeing your artwork and reading your posts!! thanks for sharing! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This was a great post! I love everything you said you have to just do what you feel is inside. Let it out! Let all the doubts and inhibitions go!!! Love your painting! I use those pens all the time! I love them!!Thanks again for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amazing and fun to watch! Your video (with the music and all) is so inspirational. I love how you went into the face and brought all the features to life! The holes too...very nice! Thank you for sharing the process and your explanation of "intuitive painting" is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved this post. So inspiring and reminds us all to not take ourselves too seriously. Changes can always be made!! Great video and catchy music ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Holy-freakin'-Rad-Painting, Batman!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. this came out great...love the faces and the purple around the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! What a great post, so inspiring! I have really been over thinking my creativity lately and when I do, I stop. Now I am going to stop thinking and start listening! Thank you...BTW, just found your blog from PPF! Great blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top