Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mad Tea Party

There was a table set out under a tree in front of the house, and the March Hare and the Hatter were having tea at it.

“No room! No room!” they cried out when they saw Alice coming.
“There’s plenty of room!” said Alice indignantly, and sat down in a large arm-chair at one end of the table.

ATC "Alice"
“Have some wine,” the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.

ATC "March Hare"
Alice looked around the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
“I don’t see any wine,” she remarked.
“There isn’t any,” said the March Hare.
“Then it wasn’t very civil of you to offer it,” said Alice angrily.
“It wasn’t very civil of you to sit down without being invited,” said the March Hare.
“I didn’t know it was your table,” said Alice: “it’s laid for a great many more than three.”

ATC "Mad Hatter"
“Your hair needs cutting,” said the Hatter.
“You should learn not to make personal remarks,” Alice said with some severity: ”it’s very rude.”
The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was:
Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn’t much. The Hatter was the first to break the silence. “What day of the month is it?” he said, turning to Alice: he had taken his watch out of his pocket.

ATC "Pocket Watch"
“What a funny watch! Alice remarked. “It tells the day of the month, and doesn’t tell what o’clock it is!”

It was at a great concert given by the Queen of Hearts, and I had to sing “Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you’re at!” said the Hatter.
“Well, I’d hardly finished the first verse,” said Hatter,”when the Queen bawled out “He’s murdering the time!”

“How dreadfully savage!” exclaimed Alice.
And ever since that,” the Hatter went on in a mournful tone, “Time won’t do a thing I ask! It’s always six o’clock now.”
A bright idea came into Alice’s head, “Is that the reason so many tea things are put out here?” she asked.
“Yes, that’s it”, said the Hatter with a sigh: “it’s always tea-time, and we’ve no time to wash the things between whiles.”

“Suppose we change the subject,” the March Hare interrupted, yawning.
“Wake up, Dormouse!

ATC "Dormouse"
The Dormouse slowly opened its eyes. “I wasn’t asleep,” it said in a hoarse, feeble voice, “I heard every word you fellows were saying.”
Tell us a story!” said March Hare.

“Once upon a time there were three sisters,” the Dormouse begun in a great hurry: “and their names were Elsie, Lacie and Tillie; and they lived at the bottom of a well __”
“They were learning to draw,” the Dormouse went on, yawning and rubbing its eyes, for it was getting very sleepy; “and they drew all manner of things __ everything that begins with an M __”
“Why with an M?” said Alice.
“Why not” said the March Hare.

The Dormouse had closed its eyes by this time, and was going off into a doze; but, on being pinched by the Hatter, it woke up again with shriek, and went on; “__ that begins with an M, such as mouse-traps, and the moon, and memory, and muchness __ you know you say things are “much of muchness” __ did you ever see such a thing as a drawing of a muchness”!
“Really, now you ask me,” said Alice, very much confused, “I don’t think __”
“Then you shouldn’t talk,” said the Hatter.

This piece of rudeness was more than Alice could bear: she got up in great disgust, and walked off.
“At any rate I’ll never go there again!” said Alice, as she picked her way through the wood.
“It’s the stupidest tea-party I ever was at in all my life!”
Just as she said this, she noticed that one of the trees had a door leading right into it.

ATC "Tree"
“That’s very curious!” she thought. “But everything’s curious today. I think I may as well go in at once.”
And in she went.

If you want to see where Alice went head over here.

As for a special treat I'm giving away the first ATC titled Alice. If you would like to win it, leave a comment on this post by next Friday. I'll be using random.org to do the magic. :)

The rest of the ATC's are up for a trade. If you want to trade give me a shout in the comments or e-mail me. :)

Quotes taken from Lewis Carroll's book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.


Share/Save/Bookmark

55 comments:

  1. Well thank you for having me here in Wonderland! Your ATC illustrations were so cute to go along with the story :)

    Please enter me in your draw! Happy Madness to you...heehee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, love your version of Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely tea party post and great illustrations.

    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely illustrations special I love alice! What fun it would be to have her! So am crossing my fingers while drinking some tea! Thanks for the treats and off I go for the hop. Drop on by for a cup or two?

    http://theweekendartist.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party-2011-by-weekend-artist.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely illustrations I might say! I would certainly love to have alice so here's to crossing my fingers to that! Had a lovely time and thanks for the tea! Hop on over mine for a cup or 2?!

    http://theweekendartist.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party-2011-by-weekend-artist.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful illustrations, charming and full of tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love the little ATCs you've done for the tea party. The dormouse is very cute.

    Here is the link to mine if you would like to visit.

    http://phoenixra.blogspot.com/2011/06/wonderings-on-tea-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful illustrations for a magical story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Thanks for sharing with us.

    Feel free to stop by anytime!

    Tabitha of
    http://pabkins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. such fun,, beautiful work, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. What precious illustrations. Thank you for a delightful time.

    I too have a party and gifts for all who visit. I do hope you can make it by!

    Follow this link: http://collagediva.typepad.com/collagediva/2011/06/tea-party.html

    Sweet day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ATCs! The mad hatter was awesome. Thanks for inviting me over!

    http://pixiepages.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-tasting-extravaganza.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the dormouse! lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tea party post. I enjoyed being confused. I hope it is not rude to say I enjoy all your ATCs. I look forward to visiting again.

    http://dogsmom.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/dreaming-madly-of-tea/

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wonderful party! thanks for inviting me!!!

    http://apinkdreamer.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-summer-party-in-pumpkinland.html
    ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the art card spin on the tea party. The cards are terrific! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for having me at your party.
    Love your ATCs

    Hop over to my party for a nice cup of tea :-)

    Joyce
    http://jetdtsetters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tea party...sweet little pictures and story...thankyou for having me x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how fun!!!! I love that you created all these lovely pieces of art for your tea party. :) So magical! Please do enter me in your wonderful giveaway and enjoy the rest of the tea party fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely tea party! Your ATC's are fantastic and yay! please do include me! I want I want!
    Thanks for having me in! :)

    xo,
    Karla
    www.dreamaginarius.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your artwork and story telling! Pop over to my blog for another party!
    Take care, Martha
    http://mjornaments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely ATC's! And a sweet tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply lovely. Thank you for the invite. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful illustrations :)

    I'm also taking part in the Mad Tea Party blog hop and hope that you'll visit my party to have some fun there too :)

    http://modernwomans.blogspot.com/2011/06/welcome-to-my-english-tea-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fab post! I enjoyed reading your story and seeing your artwork illustrate it well! How fun!
    Hugs,
    Terri
    http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow Natasha these are all fabulous and loving the story you tell with it. Enjoy the weekend. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for inviting me to tea! Those ATC's are wonderful! I hope you will visit my tea party as well.

    http://scrapvamp.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you for sharing your talents with us. the tea party was wonderful!
    Thank you for having me over.
    I do hope you will also visit me
    http://www.anaboocreations.blogspot.com
    Sylvia : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your ATCs are wonderful and a fab subject ;0)

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderfully mad tea party! Your ATCs are fantastic. Thanks for sharing, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic illustrations!
    Thank you for having me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. what fun, creative artwork...like your atc's! Thanks for the whimsical story~ Come have a cup of tea with me...
    poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. what fun, creative artwork...like your atc's! Thanks for the whimsical story~ Come have a cup of tea with me...
    poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun party, your artwork is lovely! Thank you so much for inviting me :) ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  35. Super lovely artwork and what a party!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your artwork!

    Have a mad party!
    Erin :)

    http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/weathertop

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, I accidentally left a wrong blog address. Here is the correct one
    http://www.anaboocreationsbysylvia.blogspot.com
    Thank you,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would love to win that lovely ATC :)
    Your party and story were delightful, thanks for the invite. please do visit mine. :) I also have a giveaway.
    Susan

    http://piecesoffatesusan.blogspot.com/2011/06/fanciful-twists-mad-tea-party-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very cool tea party your ATC's are wonderful.. and very entertaining.. what a fun idea.. off to have more tea...lol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. very cool! you do great work! happy tea partying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a wonderful and magical to-do, thank you for inviting me over to share your tea and enchantment! Your ATCs are beautiful!

    Though I'm running tardy, I hope you'll come visit my party!
    http://thewhimsicalcottage.blogspot.com/2011/06/fawn-and-goat.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely story! Hope you're enjoying the festivities too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such lovely paintings. Thank you so much for sharing your party.

    If you get a chance, please stop by to visit.
    http://fromthemindofalphabetsy.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party-2011.html

    <3

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fun way to have a party. Loved all the illustrations. Very nice. Thanks for the invite. Please visit me at:
    momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. OH!! So sweet, just like you!! Your wonderland is delightful!! ;)

    Love, A Fanciful Twist

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love your ATC's and I enjoyed your party. I would love to win your Alice ATC. Thank you for the opportunity. Have a nice week! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have enjoyed your party!
    Happy UnBirthday to you !
    Blessings;
    ~Myrna
    http://daylily777-myenchantedhome.blogspot.com/2011/06/mad-tea-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love this tea party post. Your ATC's are gorgeous. Your are so talented and creative! So happy to get to know you here!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. how did i miss this post?
    moving on.
    i'd be tickled to trade atcs with you.

    i haven't made any in a bit, but i've been working on some over the past week - after one of Your posts reminded me how much i enjoyed working on playing card sizes.

    let me know if you are wanting to trade.
    xx,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  50. It must have taken you ages to do this. Thank you for a very interesting and enjoyable time reading your Alice account and seeing your delightful atc's. I adore anything to do with Alice.
    My email button is on my blog - please can you email me your address as I want to send you a postcard I have done.
    www.hickydorums.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. What fun, Natasha!! I made a mini album based on Alice last year. Had so much fun with it. Love your artwork and writing. Just what I need to brighten my morning.
    Have fun with the spraying!

    ReplyDelete
  52. what a cute series! i would love to win one of your ATCs!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I loved your illustrated story. You are Mad I tell you positively off your head!!!!LOL
    Thanks for this I will be smiling all day now.

    ReplyDelete
  54. These illustrations are just like reading an illustrated book on line! Very very enjoyable. Your art is so expressive Natasha May!! *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top