Friday, June 17, 2011

Free your heart


First of all I'd like to thank everybody who had e-mailed me to let me know that you cannot leave a comment. I noticed it's been a problem for some time now. I figured out that only a certain comment section settings are troublesome so I changed it to a pop out window which did the trick and all is well now. :) I though I might mention it here if anyobody sees it as helpful.

This is my last rambling about my painting process so you can relax after now. :) I won't bore you anymore. If you'd like to read the whole series of How I paint posts go HERE.

Last Friday I was wondering what is there to do?

Of course I paint over the whole background that I so adored just a minute ago. Yes, that does happen and the statistics for that happening are high. :) But do not fear. I still have my “little spirit” that will guide me through this background as it did through previous one.

And the lesson I’m learning right now is to not get too attached. Because if I get too attached to a background, shape or color, I block my creativity. I’m stuck there with a pretty background and a divine angel face but with a painting that totally sucks. And then I get frustrated at myself for making the choices I made. I need to let it go!

I need to go where the painting is leading me. I take a moment and do the envisioning thing again. The whole time remembering that everything is going to turn out just the way I like it.

By now you might be asking me “when do you know you’re finished?” Just like I said before. I make a decision and I live with it.

I often get asked how long it takes me to paint a particular painting. And I honestly cannot answer that question unless I have timed myself painting. With making my first video of "Holes in my Universe" I can tell you it took more than 3 hours of active painting to complete it. But in fact I was working on it for 14 days. So which one counts?

"Free your heart" painting in today's video took me 30 min of active painting but I acctually started it 3 weeks ago. :)

It all depends on the painting process that I go through. Decisions might be happening quickly and I can finish a painting within hours or I might have to wait for an inspiration for a couple of days. :)

I managed to put together a PDF of this painting process. If you're interested, sign up for my newsletter to get it. The link will be in the welcoming e-mail. :)


Have a fabulous weekend! And if you want to see what outstanding art is there in Blogland go check on PPF-ers. :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

39 comments:

  1. Wonderful texture ... the blue and red work very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, the textures look awesome!
    And I love the shading on the heart and wings ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've watched the video as well!
    Really inspiring to see you work with all the colors and textures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prekrasan rad i filmić, bravo!

    Ugodan vikend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy PPF. Thank you for sharing the process. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your heart, Natasha! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool--another video--I'm going to watch it later--but I know I will enjoy. I agree with what you're saying--don't fall in love with your piece too early, because you'll end up disappointed. Sometimes I regret doing more and should have left well enough alone, but not often--it's good to keep going--helps us learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That heart with wings of clouds and the dark of night, suggests ....Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the symbolism of this piece...freedom of the heart is a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A goregous wee piece - I love the textured look of the background and it would look great framed on a wall - a quirky little heart with a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really interesting watching the process you want through and the number of layers of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh - tissue paper and black gesso... 2 of my favorite things!... and painting with a brayer... Love it! Wheee!

    The message of this painting is wonderful and it is always great to see your process :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing how you create your paintings is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this vid! I love seeing the process of others artist, there is always something new to learn.

    You're right in so many things you mention, Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the message and your work. HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the painting and the inspiring words! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. loves this piece and the message it brings! i hate when i get asked how long a piece of artwork takes me.....i have no clue either!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that was so much fun to watch!! i loved all the layers you ended up doing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved the video ~ who knew there are so many layers underneath? I'd love to try painting with a brayer, it adds such a cool effect.

    The finished heart is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Natasha! I'm just loving y our videos as well as your art. I agree with the not getting too attached to what you are creating. Love your post today and your "Free Your Heart" painting. :-) Happy PPF~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool! Thanks for sharing your process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your Free Your Heart painting. It looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet painting and that was fun to watch. Boy you paint fast. lol
    Thanks for sharing and Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this quote and your painting!!! beautiful work Natasha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful Natasha..I love it and it was wonderful to watch how you created your painting!!
    hugs
    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your advice about letting go during the process. I do become attached, I bet it does block me! Beautiful colors and texture! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the texture and your color are brilliant and pure!
    Happy PPF (a day late ;))
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this Natasha!! Wow, the heart is so beautiful, and goes with the blue background so well! Great to see your work in process! And I can so relate to getting attached to parts of the background, I do that alot and find too that it keeps me from letting the painting lead me!

    I am really needing to work on that aspect alot lately! I want to be free!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. sorry to double amy you, but i'm switching blogger accounts, so you are stuck with two me's following you until i can delete my old acct.

    xx
    a

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Amazing process. I´d love to play with a brayer too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! I totally agree with not becoming too attached... sometimes that's hard tho! But I made two blue cards recently for the Summer of Color and both of them got most of the background (that I liked but just didn't work) almost completely covered up. And speaking of... come on over and pick one of the cards so I could send it off to you with your book!!

    xoEsther

    ReplyDelete
  33. Zelo mi je všeč kako si to naredila in video je zelo zelo zanimiv in uporaben.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So cool that you included a video of you creating your artwork! I love this visual metaphor too--the winged heart and I love your color choices. Yay for that deep rich purple. A beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely painting! Your process is fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Natasha!! This is a really brilliant video!! I love seeing how you create it really is inspiring. I've been trying to make my backgrounds for my angels a bit more interesting and I think I'm going to have to try using rollers, I've never had a go with those before I really love the texture of it!! This is a lovely piece and it was even more inspiring to watch you make it!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow - love the piece, love the video!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your videos! Awesome watching you work. Cool texture with this gorgeous painting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top