Friday, May 27, 2011

This is how I do it


Let me explain my way of painting that you’ve seen in the video. I rarely or rather never know how my painting is going to end up. Sometimes I have a vague idea what I would want to do but I almost always end up going another direction.

In the last Friday's post you could see in the video that I started by applying color wash on the canvas just to put some color on it. And yellow is a nice bright color that doesn’t give you much trouble if you want to paint over it and while wet you can mix it with any color on the canvas and it won’t go muddy on you. Drips are just for fun cause I like them. :) And sometimes those accidental shapes give you a sea of possibilities.

Painting always goes through pretty and ugly stage and then hopefully pretty again. :) The thing is not to stop too quickly in either of these stages. That means even if you think it’s pretty it doesn’t mean you have to leave it alone and you’re finished painting.

I liked the background and the circles and I considered not covering it which I later did with black. I don’t regret it because even though I liked the background, I couldn’t tell anything from it. It didn’t lead me anywhere and I couldn’t imagine it being finished. There was just nothing there but a pretty background.

Now, let me explain, that’s what I did or did not see THAT day. It might happen that one day I do a similar background and it will tell me loads. But this time I had to take it further. This all happens to me intuitively. And I’ll explain this in the next blog post because I was once one of those people that just didn’t get people saying, “you need to just let it happen and not think” or “you need to paint intuitively” or something similar like that.

To come back to my painting in the video you’ll see that I used one of the bubbles to make a face. I actually didn’t intend to do that. When I was looking at the painting I was messing around with an idea to put little people on the bubbles that would look like they’re walking on them. One thought was about putting little faces in the bubbles to seem like they are looking out the window.

But looking at the bubbles I really didn’t like the big one with a circle in it. It was an odd shape and that little circle inside it didn’t seem like it belonged there. So I made a face out of it. And the rest is history as they say. :)



I'm sorry I just can't seem to make these videos shorter. There is part 3 coming soon. :) Stay tuned. And don't forget to say Hi! to PPF!


Share/Save/Bookmark

41 comments:

  1. I want the girl in the top image. I seriously want her. She is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her face is so nice to look at! So interesting to see where an initial idea may lead us :)

    Can't wait to see part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Komaj čakam tretji del! Super izgleda že sedaj! Rada opazujem umetnike pri delu. Se mi zdi, da se tudi pri opazovanju veliko naučim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prekrasno, sviđa mi se tutorijal i tvoj rad!
    Ugodan vikend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zelo zanimivo je opazovati nekoga pri njegovem ustvarjanju, sploh če nima strahu pred velikimi belimi površinami. Vedno sem rada 'čečkala' po majhnih listkih, pred velikimi listi, platni imam pa tremo. Zato je fajn, ko vidim, kako se slika razvija, popravlja, spreminja od bube do metulja.
    Hvala!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK Let's just say I am incredibly impressed, lucky I'm not small minded or I would be incredibly jealous also LOL!!! Well done, LOVE watching it happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natasha - she is so beautiful!! It is interesting to here you say you are a convert who didn't used to think you could paint intuitively. I think I am still awaiting conversion as I don't really 'get it' either. Maybe because most of my paintings are real subjects rather than imaginary. I need to try it as it sounds freeing.
    I laughed at your comment on my blog!! Yes, my husband is Scottish so he was always going to be wearing a 'skirt' on our wedding day. That is what i wore - I designed it myself and got it made for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those eyes so sad .... and that sweet face ... very good job. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ej, tole je bilo pa super pogledat. Je zanimivo videt, kako delaš oz. kako se znajdeš in si olajšaš delo :)
    Pa všeč mi je, da zdaj direkt takole samozavestno na platno narišeš obraz. ♥ ♥
    Tole mora bit dober pregled tudi za tiste, ki mislijo, da sliko začneš do konca sestavljeno in narediš vse v enem šusu oz. v eni plasti. Lepo se vidi, kako se je podlaga razvijala od začetka do te stopnje.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see how you work, Natasha, thanks for sharing! Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing and fantastic to see you paint! Love how the painting changes everytime, and the way you painted the eyes, fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roll on # 3 I say. You are an excellent painter

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your painting started one way and then turned into something completely different. Bravo for following your intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I love your videos and I love this sweet girl!!! wonderful work and I always think of something and then my work takes me to a whole new place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to see videos on how someone's work. Thanks for sharing that and great piece. She is just so beautiful. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the video! And of course the painting. I realize the video is sped up but how long did it take to paint your canvas? Can't wait to see part three. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  17. excellent work!! i love watching your process! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes, her face is very lovely, your video music made me get up and dance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful face. Thanks for sharing your process and the videos! Happy PPF! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love watching your video. And she is GORGEOUS!
    Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful face and am so loving her. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  22. so you are a very intuitive painter. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Natasha, that's wonderful. I've been away quite a bit so playing catch up and I just watched both videos back to back. You did a great job, I wouldn't even know where to start!

    Can't wait to see part 3!!

    Your lovely cards arrived today - I am thrilled. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Natasha..I love how expressive you are in your painting..your blog is a good read too. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am loving these videos... I can't wait for part 3!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really enjoyed watching this develop alot and she is divine (a heavenly body?) any way you are now in my side par I want to keep up with what's going on here

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am loving this every step of the way! And I love the music. I've been replaying it--so did you know that you and I are making art together?? It's fun!!
    P.S. Blogger won't let me comment so I found a way around it--love that blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh i love that face in the first images....just plain splendid! I love the eyes!!!! happy ppf

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fascinating video Natasha May! I look forward to seeing where else this leads you!

    I love watching your process!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous work as always, and your process is incredible to see in "real time" just amazing!
    Happy PPF,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  31. nice video and fun, lighthearted painting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just wonderful! Love that you explained it a bit in this entry, too! Can't wait to see part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was SO looking forward to this video! Thank you! She is gorgeous, Natasha! Wow! Watching your process is fascinating. I loved watching her come to life. I can't wait for the next video. Keep them coming!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. How how fun and I love your girls eyes! Thanks for stopping by my place, Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think it's great you left the video as long as it is b/c not everyone realizes the time that goes into the painting! I love your videos - fabulous idea. I cant wait to see Part 3. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  36. S veseljem čekam nove video snimke tvog rada kojem se divim :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's so much fun to watch you work! I love the face of this girl - kind of like a harlequin!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That was so much fun to watch, I loved it! Now I'm going to check out the first video. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That was so much fun to watch! Thank you Natasha...you have talent, for sure! xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tudi trojka je fajn :) je pa zanimivo videt kako je slika povsem drugačna od tiste iz prvega videa :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. wonderfull!!!i love it...
    thank you for video!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top