Suzi Blu published a student gallery book of her student's art and I'm in it. :) I ordered the book but it will take a while for it to get to me so I'm not sure which painting of mine is published but I think this is the one.
Monday, March 29, 2010
Friday, March 26, 2010
If you're just beginning to look at all these workshops that are offered these days it might be a little overwhelming so I thought I'd share with you my experiences.
On-line workshops I've taken:
- Les Petit Dolls - 55$
- The Goddess and the Poet - 55$
- Angels - 25$
I started off with Suzi Blu. Now for some she might be a bit extreme but for me she is very inspiring and motivating. So if you're interested in drawing little Petit Dolls I would recommend her class to start with. In all her workshops she has lots and lots of videos and she covers all the details. Les Petit Dolls class is for beginners. That is if you have never drawn a doll in your life, she teaches you how to from scrap. I love this workshop!
Goddess and the Poet class covers a bit more realistic faces but still whimsical. Angels class is more of a theme project. It's not for beginners because she doesn't teach faces from scrap but shows you how to make 3 different paintings.
I love that she doesn't raise her workshop prices. That way she makes them more accessible. The only thing with Suzi is that although you can always get her on e-mail but with ning she's a bit chaotic and doesn't always stick to planned.
I love Wyanne. She is a totally different teacher from Suzi. She is calm and soft and her techniques are amazing. She holds her class on a private blog where you can post your artwork. Again lots of videos and step by step instructions. She even gives you a template for drawing her girls. It makes it so much easier to draw a face and full body in different positions.
- Fairy Claudia - 60$
- Mixed Media Backgrounds - 40$
- Sing a Love Song - free
Monica is an amazing artist. Again I learned a few techniques new to me. Through her videos she shows you the whole process of making the page. I bought the mixed media background class just yesterday so I cannot tell you yet what it's like.
Sing a love song class is for free if you take two or more of her paid classes. Her newest classes are a bit expensive but she makes a great deal for you by offering a free class to go along with it. So if you take Inspire me! or her pencil class she offers a free workshop from one of her paid classes that cost 60$. So to calculate, you buy one class for 120$ and you get a 60$ class for free and then if you take another class from her like this mixed media background for 40$ you get a Sing a love song class for free. So to sum it up you pay 160$ and you get 4 workshops which ends up 40$ per class. Not bad. :)
- layer love - 43$
- art Journaling supernova I in II - 69$
- complex collage - 49$
Julie is more of a systematic teacher. If you like more of a structured class, she is the one for you. Layer love was my first class with Julie and I loved it. Lots of videos to explain everything. For me this technique is a bit much. I took everything I've learned and simplified it a bit. Julie is really a layer person. :) Layer upon layer.
Supernova was exciting as well. First part teaches you 3 different ways to bind a book or a journal for that matter. Nothing new here, you can get the instructions on YouTube but I think her way of explaining it is more clear. At least that's my opinion. I don't regret taking this class at all. The second part of Supernova is about journals. Some backgrounds were too simple for me and some were a quick version of layer love. But for a newbie it might have been an amazing class. I loved it just as well because the rest of the class was filled with tips and tricks.
The only thing that bothers me is that you cannot download videos. They are there for you as long as the ning exists but I prefer to have videos on my computer.
Complex collage is a new class starting in April. Chris Cozen is teaching it together with Julie so I'm really excited about that.Alisa Burke
- Graffiti chic - 50$
I love Alisa's art. She is truly amazing. I first bought her book Canvas Remix and I loved all the techniques described and pictured in it. That's why I decided to take her on-line class as well. I might have expected the class to be more like the book that's why I was a little disappointed. I really didn't care for graffiti letters but the rest was pretty decent. I guess this style of art making it's just not for me although I really enjoy watching Alisa paint in her videos.
- mini workshop Aprils fool - 10$
- mini workshop woof - 10$
- mini workshop hearts - 10$
- memory keepers - 40$
Marie is awesome! I love her mini workshops they are so affordable. If you like working with clay this is the right class for you. I myself was very into it at the beginning but then I didn't like the mess of clay anymore. I'm like that at times. But hey, if I didn't try it I wouldn't have known, right?! :) But I still love to check out all the videos and wish I could make all of it. :)
This class is my favorite right now. I love doing these faces. Sharon is amazing. Lots of videos of looking over Sharon's shoulder and seeing her paint. She has some bonus videos in there as well. I highly recommend this class.
I've been waiting for Carla to do an on-line class for as long as I know of her and her art. Her artwork is different and I can't wait to learn more about it. The class starts in April and it's a bit different from the rest. She plans to teach through e-mails and I'm excited to see how it will work out. And she wrote a book as well called Drawing Lab which is up for pre-order. I don't need to tell you I ordered it the very same day, do I? :)
Most of these classes are on going except for Suzi's but I prefer to have a start and a finish. That way you can go along with all the hype and energy from the rest of classmates. If you join the class after everyone else have already done it, it's not all that exciting any more. But that's my personal preference.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
They could be sisters but I don't have any so I decided they are friends. :) I love the flowers in the hair. Flowers are stickers but I had to glue them down cause the sticker alone would not hold to the page.
There's nothing much happening in the background, maybe I'll change it later on. I just wanted to practice faces. I really tried to be looser with these two. I go way to much into details and it frustrates me. So I didn't make much fuss about these two. They look Spanish, don't they? :)
And I won!!! :) Julie-ann had a giveaway and I won her Goodyou doll. :) How exciting is that?! Thank you again Julie-ann!
Friday, March 19, 2010
Remember this? I'm finishing all of it. This lady is keeping company with Savannah. That's how I call my dark skin lady. :) I'm happy to say this is the last page spread in my altered book. It's finished. Yaaaay! :)) Maybe I'll video the whole book to show you how it looks.
Background is made of napkins. I got them from a couple of friends of mine for my birthday. See ladies, they come in handy. :) (they are reading me on buzz) I love making these faces but they too give me trouble. Shading on the darker side of face doesn't come out right sometimes. I was fixing the left face for about 3 days. I'm still not happy but I'm leaving it as it is, cause I mess it up even more each time I try to fix it.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Thank you to BojaMoja, Dekca and PopiKoki for giving me this award. These ladies have awesome blogs so go and check them out.
The rules for this award are:
1. Thank the person who gave this to you.
2. Copy the logo and place it in your blog.
3. Link the person who nominated you.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that no one would really know.
5. Nominate seven 'Kreativ Bloggers'
6. Post links to the seven blogs you nominate
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know you nominated them.
This is the third time I'm doing this. The first and second time was on my other blog. So I don't know if I'm mysterious enough to have more things to tell about me you don't already know. :)
Ok, let's do this.
1. I don't consider myself to have an addictive personality. I don't drink nor smoke nor do drugs. :) I don't even drink coffee. But ...
I cannot control myself around cheese. I often have cravings for grilled cheese. Oh, yeah. But any kind of cheese will do. Being a vegetarian and trying to become a vegan this is a problem for me. Cheese will be the death of me, I tell you. :)
2. I was also obsessed with on-line workshops for awhile. I'm at a standstill now, I convinced myself from taking a couple already. However, I buy a lot of art and books lately. I console myself that this too shall pass. :)
3. I'm a cat person but that didn't stop me from getting two dogs. :) I need a dog to take me for a walk. :) My first dog was a Rottweiler called Kana. I wanted a second dog and because Kana was a big dog, I wanted the second one to be a smaller one, so I adopted Kika. When my Kana passed away last November, I realized while walking Kika at night that I feel safer with a larger dog. So I got Karma from a rescue. But I'm still a sucker for cats. That's why I ended up with 7 of them and I convinced my mom to have some as well. Five to be exact. :)))) Cats rule!! :))
4. I'm obsessed with Farmville on FB. This doesn't look good for my non addictive personality does it? :))) I shouldn't use the word obsessed. Let's go with intrigued. How's that? I'm intrigued with Farmville. :)
5. I have never read Alice in Wonderland. Never ever. I'm familiar with the story and I have a recollection of some excerpts at the back of my mind but that's it. I'm making up for it now. I bought the book at The Book Depository yesterday.
6. I used to love horror movies but with age I became very sensitive. The last horror film I was covering my eyes from the beginning and an hour into the movie I had to leave the movie theater. It was just too much for me. And I have never in my life walked out on a movie. Till that day.
7. I'm not good with plants. They die on me. All of them. Even cactus. And because of cats it's not a good idea to have them anyway. But I love receiving flowers as gifts. As long as you give me a vase as well and you won't feel bad when I tell you the very next day that cats broke the vase and ate the flowers.:)
It's so hard to choose just seven but here it is. I'm passing this award to a few of my favorite blogging artists:
I hope you don't have a "no award" blog. :)
Monday, March 8, 2010
Monday, March 1, 2010
It's not finished yet but I had to show it to you cause I'm pretty proud about this one. :)
This is my last page layout in my altered book project. Of course it had to be Norah's faces. :) Sharon gave us a bonus video how to paint dark skin face. It was a challenge but I loved it. This rosy color is not that apparent in reality it's just that the photo picks it up more opaque then it is.
I hosted this particular swap once before and I loved the results it gave so I did it again. We had 2 columns. You had to choose a person...
For March moley journal I did a spread on the theme of Art Nouveau; William Morris style for redplantlady. Very not my style. Last w...
Kat Sloma has been running Liberate Your Art Postcard Swap since 2011 which was also my first time participating. But then I kept missing...
I guess it's that time of the year when you have to do some spring cleaning. I usually avoid it but I tackled the chaos that is my wa...
February's moley journal for Zandradee on the theme of "things that make you happy". She also asked us to get out of our c...