Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Just a little brain chatter for you

It is so hard to get into the groove when you come back from vacation. And it’s even harder when you move and all your art supply is in boxes on the floor. I have nowhere but the floors to create. And I'm not down with that cause I have cats and dogs that are too nosy. :)

My mojo has left me. I feel like I need to put my studio together first before I can paint anything. And I’ve been thinking of trying out some new stuff. Different style of painting. But we’ll see where that gets me. I usually forget before I start moving in that direction.

I'm copy pasting something I wrote in Wyanne's class. I was coloring a simple coloring sheet.

What I found out from this assignment is that I like to have a choice of colors. I have regular crayons but not too many color choices so I used the Portfolio series water soluble oil pastels instead. That might as well say something about my attitude toward things and money. :) I picked the easiest coloring sheet since it didn't look too detailed. And I colored very loosely without paying too much attention to details. I didn't even sharpen my crayons. Not because I didn't want to I just didn't feel like going through the trouble. Colors that I used are pretty safe for me. I use them a lot. I tried to listen to Wyanne's suggestion to pick the color that jumps out at you first. Even though I imagined a pink bunny I picked up deep red. But when I stared at the coloring sheet to see what I would color with it, I couldn't find anything. So I changed the red for pink. I was tempted to leave the background uncolored but changed my mind and colored it green for grass.

While I was coloring I was thinking about what this coloring sheet will tell about me to others. That it will look very imprecise and might give the impression that I wasn't doing my best. But the thing is that I usually don't give my best. And that is because I like to enjoy painting and if I give it my best I'll probably get too worked up about it not being perfect and not being able to do exactly how I imagined, that I would just give up in the middle of it. Which is pretty much the story of my life.

Isn't it weird how a simple coloring assignment makes you think about yourself?


Share/Save/Bookmark

17 comments:

  1. Yes!! and that's exactly how I am too! Do you like Wyanne's class? My list of classes is up to 10--seriously, and I can't decide. (it's more for the end of October when I have more time, and I'm sure there'll be more on the list--I just have to make up my mind)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute kitty in the tent!
    I completely understand. Coming back from vacation I find I need a few days to get back into the groove. Believe me, you haven't lost your mojo.
    I did the same exercise in the class with the coloring page- I too think I picked the easiest one to do (haven't been to the class blog in over a week, so must go check, lol!).
    I found myself wanting to get through it quickly, and I still used traditional colors. I can't seem to just 'play' with art...so I get what you mean by not wanting to do your best.
    xoxo
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, girlfriend! I am currently sculpting in clay, but I sort of do the same thing. I don't get too bogged down in getting the surface perfectly smooth, or making everything just perfect. As I was working today, I was thinking about this topic exactly, wondering if people would think I was a slacker for being this way..., but really, it is indicative of where I am in my life right now, and I would bet you feel the same way. Life is hectic and moves at such a fast speed, that I find it difficult to slow down and make everything perfect. I already suffer from insomnia, and I think if I got into this "perfectionism" too much, I would really go crazy. so yes, I understand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to not getting into the groove after a vacation I think that's pretty common.luckily it sounds like your taking lots of classes (I must go check them out) to get you back into it! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like me when I am choosing my colors, why do we do this? I have to say that the puppy you are holding is adorable! and the cats are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup, all sorts of things get us to think about ourselves and our lives, don't they? even a coloring assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would guess he used the coloring assignment to make you think. It's a good thing to get more in touch with what makes you tick. I love red,too, but I can't get away from Opera Pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it sounds like you're enjoying Wyanne's class! That's great! I love the feelings her art gives.... happy and cheerful!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Natasha, it's always hard getting into the crative groove when we come back from a vacation or when we moved. Im sure you will feel the cretive flow once your studio is all set up. Wyanne's class sounds amaizng! Thanks so much for sharing. Have alovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Natasha!

    Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog, I really do appreciate it, and from reading your recent post it sounds like we're very much on the same wave length at the moment just for different reasons but I think you hit it right on the head when you said,

    "I like to enjoy painting and if I give it my best I'll probably get too worked up about it not being perfect and not being able to do exactly how I imagined, that I would just give up in the middle of it".

    I know exactly how you feel, I think I always create my best and favourite pieces when I'm relaxed and doing it for fun, I struggle when it comes to something that is planned and really thought out. But when it comes down to it I really love creating art when I'm happy and going with the flow, I think that's what I need to tap into more often. :0)

    I have your beautiful painting (which I have to say is my favourite piece so far) all bubble wrapped and ready to go, so I'm off to the post office first thing in the morning. I meant to post it yesterday but realised I'd bought the wrong size box! So glad that it's going some where to be enjoyed, thanks again and let me know when it gets there safely.

    Oh I'm looking forward to your new work too, don't worry once you are set up in your studio again you'll be very inspired, I felt the same as you when I first got back from my holiday and had to set up my new art space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel. Moving is really hard and disruptive, but hopefully something new and wonderful will come out of it! I loved heaing about your experience with your coloring sheet. I'm in the class too. I was also surprised at what I learned about myself. Some things you mentioned, I could identify with! Also, thanks for posting about the free art and healing class. I just signed up! Can't wait to get started! Take care, carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your kind comment! I know what you mean about nosy pets. I have two kitties and they are very curious. You'll get your mojo back soon. You're really talented, I always enjoy seeing the amazing art you create.
    Much Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  13. I somehow lost my creative mojo this week too, I got so overwhelmed by what was absolutely nothing! and I started spinning in circles not sure what to tackle next...hate it when this happens! I guess times like this it's good to push yourself onwards abit but than to also take a rest so you can see and plan afresh...good luck Natasha May, hope you get your work station set up again soon.

    p.s. thanks so much for entering my giveaway, good luck to you:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Natasha! Glad you are enjoying your class. Hope you get into the groove again! Your kitty is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely think that art in any form or capacity brings you to meet parts of yourself. That's partly why I love it. I have just signed up for an MA in fine art and am both scared and excited! And also, like you say, I feel it's time to look at doing something different in my art.

    Wishing you luck with the classes and new art work :)

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's so interesting to think about. i always have to keep my perfectionista in check when i paint and always make sure i'm having fun and enjoying what i'm creating. it's when i try to make it perfect that my work usually loses its life. you can always tell when the artist was having fun!

    i hope you get unpacked soon so you can get back to painting! i'm sure you'll be inspired :)

    -juliette

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, I think you thought way too much about it. I think you should just accept what you chose -- the color, the style, and then go with that in your next painting.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top