Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Art Book review

Today I want to share some of my art books with you. You probably know of them already since they are best sellers and well known in art community. If you click on the photo or the title of the book it will take you to my favorite on-line book store. Book Depository is a UK company but it ships worldwide for free. Yes, you heard me, for free. And the prices are usually lower then Amazon.

My very first art book that I bought was Kelly Rae Roberts' Taking Flight. This is an amazing book that not only teaches you different techniques but leads you on a journey of self discovery. It talks about dreams, fears and embracing the journey. It's very Kelly Rae and it features some other artists as well. There are step by step instructions on completing several paintings (7 I think) using different techniques and each step is photographed as well. I made several projects following these instructions and you can find them HERE.
150 x 150 flying lessons badge
P.S. I recently have taken her e-course Flying Lessons and it was amazing. We talked about building a business on line and selling our art. Amazing tips and tricks! Kelly Rae is now offering an e-book of the e-course and I would highly recommend it. Just click on the button above to take you to her site.

My second book was Alisa Burke's Canvas Remix. This is totally different style from Kelly Rae. You can get the feel of it on Alisa Burke's blog. The book is colorful and very graffiti art like. Instructions are great and followed by a photo. You can not only find different techniques for backgrounds but Alisa shows you what to do with that canvas too. Ideas to make all sorts of projects. Of course I made some as well. Find them HERE.

My latest purchase is Carla Sonheim's Drawing Lab. I was first afraid that this book will be too similar to others. Lets face it. How many mixed media techniques are there, right?! Well, I was wrong. I LOVE this book. It's so Carla Sonheim. It's playful and weird. :) In a good way. It touches on some traditional drawing techniques but mostly it's about loosening up. Don't get it if you want to learn to draw a traditional portrait because you'll be disappointed. This is a book that makes you want to be silly. :)

I bought Dawn DeVries Sokol's 1000 Artist Journal Pages because some bloggers were very impressed with it. This is not an instructional book. It's a book full of journal pages from different artists. I think of it more as an inspirational book. If you're a beginner or you're stuck, you can browse through these pages and get some ideas. You can see on THIS post how I struggled with a page and then found inspiration in this book.


Share/Save/Bookmark

24 comments:

  1. I gotta get a copy of Drawing Lab-looks very fun! From a fellow flyer, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. i own taking flight as well. also the 1000 art journal pages, they are sooo inspiring! and i wait for drawing lab to be in the mail today or tomorrow! ;-) i am really excited!

    xoxo trine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of posts!! Lover your review of online workshops very much too!! My first artbook was...Taking Flight ;-) beautiful book, still one of my favorites! And the newest one (hasn't arrived yet from the Book Depository (LOL)) will be Drawing Lab, hahahahahaha. I can't wait! The 1000 artist is indeed very wonderful for inspiration! The book by Alisha Burke i don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for a post. Funnily enough yesterday I ordered 1000 art journal pages! I have the Kelly Rae book which I love. The others sound worth a look. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so naughty... I just had to buy drawing lab. It looked like just the kind of thing I was after. I want to draw more kooky things and this looks like it will really help me loosen up! Great recommendations, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for introducing me to Carla Sonheim. I think I might have to get her book too now! I like the idea of her online class too. Thanks Natasha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this great post, Natasha; what a great topic. It seems we all have some of these, but none have all of them. I love my "Taking Flight" and "Canvas Remix," and just looked at the other two while in Barnes and Noble hunting for the latest "Art Journaling" magazine. I NEED these, lol! Happy Creating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for sharing the book depository with us! it will be a favorite art stop, i just know it! and i loved all of the works of art you created with the books you shared. =) especially the projects from Kelly Rae's book. I'm still reading it and looking forward to doing the lessons myself. have a great day natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post! I ordered the Drawing lab book about a week ago and am waiting for it. Your post inspired me to order Canvas remix, I had it in my wish list, but thought it was mostly for creating purses and stuff like that.
    Love ordering art books, it's such a thrill!
    ps- I love The Book Depository, it is my fave place to order now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't know of drawing lab, so i look forward to checking on that one! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Kelly Rae's book, and I actually have Drawing Lab on my wish list. This was a great informative post! Thanks for the recommends! Theresa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking at that Drawing Lab too, sounds like fun ! I love your reviews, I think they are very helpfull for a lot of readers, thank you. I recently bought a bunch of mixed media books, none of the ones you mentioned, maybe I should do a review of those on my blog. I think I will, if you don't mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I almost bought Drawing Lab on my last order from Amazon but then decided not to at the last moment. I see I am going to have to make another order now! What a shame....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure thing, Brigitte. I would love to see your review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Natasha , I also love Taking Flight and agree that Book Depository is a fantastic resource! I recently purchased Print and Pattern and I think its great. Wini :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wondering about Drawing Lab so thank for the review, its on my list now.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Reviews! I'll have to look for Canvas Remix. I haven't seen it in our bookstore.
    The pics of your fur ones in your side bar make me smile.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am going to have to get that Drawing Lab book... it looks really good!!! Thanks... x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a wonderful post and a great review!! I am loving my Kelly Rae Roberts' Taking Flight book and i will have to check out the rest! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got Kelly's book too, but I didn't know about the others until now! I think I might be going shopping soon :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Za vse tvoje lepotičke si res zaslužiš nagrado:):):)

    http://aknela69-ustvarja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you for sharing about these books. I don't have any art books that teach me how to anything. you have me pondering my choices now. Thank you! and congratulations on the above award.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1000 Journal pages arrived today :)

    I gave this post a link from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love all the reviews. i have kelly rae's book too and took the class, she's so inspirational. the drawing lab book looks great, i might have to get that, sometimes my drawing needs to loosen up. the link for the book also took me to so many wonderful artists.
    having fun looking through your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

 
Go To Top